Machine Learning Engineer
Upstream Tech · Remote (USA)
We are looking for an applied machine learning engineer who wants to use their skills to help address the impact of climate change on future water supply and improve streamflow forecasting capabilities to protect the environment.
Upstream Tech is a technology company that creates decision-support technologies for conservation, agriculture, and low-carbon energy. We are looking for a machine learning engineer to join our close-knit team to work towards a more sustainable world.
In this job, you’ll work with our multi-disciplined team to solve technical problems that our customers face. You will design, build, test and improve models, wrangle data, and run user-facing model deployments to support our HydroForecast product. We’re looking for candidates who are strong communicators, are comfortable sharing their ideas and implementing them in code with a high degree of autonomy.
At Upstream Tech you’ll work on projects like:
- Forecasting river flow using neural networks and other statistical methods.
- Integrating new big datasets (e.g. weather sources, satellite data) and testing their impact on model performance.
- Building analysis tools and capabilities to understand model behavior.
- Testing model structures and input data sources for long-term climate-scale streamflow forecasting.
- Merging geophysical scientific knowledge and machine learning models to leverage the best of both worlds.
This work is critical to the success of Upstream Tech and is necessary for efficient and sustainable water management.
You’d Be a Good Fit If
- You have experience applying statistical and machine learning techniques to real-world datasets.
- You can implement technical workflows in Python and have worked with big data.
- You enjoy researching new modeling solutions and deploying those solutions to users.
- You are familiar with hydrology, clean energy, climatology, environmental restoration or physical systems.
- You are pragmatic, solutions-oriented, and want to get things done without sacrificing quality.
- You are humble and have empathy for customers and teammates.
- You believe that giving and receiving honest and direct feedback helps everyone to grow.
- You enjoy working on a team and believe a variety of skills and perspectives creates the best products.
- You are a great communicator and can stay organized and manage your own time.
- You want to work at a small, impact-focused company. We measure our success with a triple bottom line and put our principles before profits.
Remote, located in the United States. We have been remote since our founding and focus on processes and tools which make remote work efficient and enjoyable. We host a biannual in-person trip to work, bond, and celebrate our successes.
How to Apply
If interested, please send a cover letter and your resume detailing your experience to [email protected].
Upstream Tech is committed to supporting and growing a diverse team. We have a standardized interview process designed to reduce individual bias and use structured pay scales to provide equitable compensation. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are proud to offer benefits like four weeks of paid vacation, 401(k) matching, and good health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans. We want our team to live full lives outside of work.