Head of Data Science
Planet · San Francisco, CA/Remote (USA)
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet is looking for a Head of Data Science. This role reports to the President of Product and Business, and supports Planet’s product and technology teams (and beyond) through data science. Data science at Planet is not just about making it easy to understand what’s already happening; it’s about strategically understanding opportunities and influencing our roadmap through quantitative analysis of our products, customers, and market. This role is responsible for guiding and leading teams consisting of both direct reports as well as matrixed employees from across the business.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Be the champion for the customer, from identifying their challenges and opportunities in data, to highlighting potential solutions.
- Work with leadership and cross-functional partners to define a lasting vision for the product
- Build and support an incredible team of data scientists, balancing bottom-up and top-down decision making, and providing for career growth and development.
- Encourage high performance and innovation by engaging employees in decision-making and development of new product and process improvement ideas
What You Bring:
- 5+ years of experience in data science supporting commercial or government software products
- 5+ years of experience managing teams of 10 or more, with a proven record of excellent leadership
- A passion for Planet’s mission to use space to help life on Earth
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Proven ability to build and lead teams that ship world-changing products in fast-paced environments
- Experience hiring world-class data science leaders and building customer-centric cultures
- A growth mindset and a desire to learn quickly
- Executive presence and ability to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience with cross geographical team coordination and management
- Proven problem solving skills
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
By clicking "Apply Now" at the top of this job posting, I acknowledge that I have read the Planet Data Privacy Notice for California Staff Members and Applicants, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.