Senior Data Scientist
Apeel Sciences · Remote (USA)
At Apeel Sciences, we look to nature to help the global food system improve quality, reduce waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet.
We believe that our most essential ingredient in our recipe for success is our people. We strive to cultivate an environment where everyone is welcomed, and can bring their full, authentic selves into everything they do at Apeel. Humility, Ingenuity, Leadership and Teamwork are the values that define us and how we work with each other, customers, and communities across the globe.
About This Role
Today, when we buy a piece of produce at the grocery store, we know very little about it. When will it be at peak ripeness? How long will it take to spoil? Can I expect it to be tasty, nutritious, fresh? Was it treated with optimal care and with the lowest environmental impact?
As Apeel has scaled, it has become clear that the fresh produce industry is ripe for technological innovation. Our Software and Data Science teams use cutting-edge technology to change the process of measuring produce freshness from an art to a science. We build platforms to revolutionize both the supply chain and marketplace for fresh fruits and vegetables - all in the pursuit of reducing waste and creating an abundant future for the planet.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you’ll clean, organize, and analyze supply chain data to glean meaningful insights and opportunities, as well as build predictive models to automate and streamline business decision-making. You will have the opportunity to work with our Hyperspectral Imaging Technology (ImpactVision), NIR Spectra, RGB Images, Videos and Tabular Time Series Data. You will also collaborate with Software, Sciences, Strategy, Sales, Marketing and Finance teams to define and execute projects.
This position can be fully remote or partially remote (preferred). If working remotely, employees must be based in one of our payroll states:
AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, IA, ID, IL, IN, KY, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NM, NY, OR, PA, TN, TX, WA, WI
What You’ll Do:
- Own data science projects from initiation and planning through model building, deployment, monitoring and updating
- Work cross-functionally with stakeholders throughout the organization to define project deliverables and share project updates
- Communicate project updates and results through presentations and documentation
What You Bring:
- PhD in Physics, Math, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering (or similar) or equivalent industry experience
- Expert in Data Science and Machine Learning with Python
- Knowledge of standard data tools (Scikit-learn, Pandas, Numpy, SciPy, OpenCV)
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to lead cross-functional teams
- 1-3 years of experience in a full time role
- Experience with Tensorflow and Pytorch
- Experience with SQL
- Familiarity with AWS (EC2 and S3)
- Familiarity with Bash/Zsh
- Prior experience or interest in mentoring others
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.