Operations (DevOps) Engineer
Azavea · Philadelphia, PA or Remote
Skills & Requirements
What you will do:
- Build cloud infrastructure to fit the needs of a diverse set of web software applications, including security, speed, and reliability.
- Design, configure, test, and document continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines.
- Leverage open source and other tooling to support core principles of security, infrastructure as code, and observability in our web applications.
- Work with software engineering teams to identify infrastructure requirements and implement solutions for reliability, performance, and management.
- Automate many of the steps required to safely develop and deliver software.
- Troubleshoot and mitigate complex production issues, and draft incident reports to reduce the likelihood of recurrence.
- Contribute to a growing company and to the open-source communities that support our work and to which we contribute.
- Stay up to date with cloud infrastructure technology and best practices.
You should have experience with:
- Infrastructure as Code technologies and best practices.
- Automating production environments and setting up CI/CD pipelines.
- Configuring and deploying cloud computing infrastructure (we primarily leverage AWS with a smattering of Azure, but we recognize that people may have a range of experience with other platforms).
- Optimization of infrastructure for performance and resilience including web servers, databases, load balancers, CDNs, and containers.
- Monitoring infrastructure and proactively identifying issues before they become problems.
- Cybersecurity as it impacts network design, testing, and application development.
You should also:
- Understand networking concepts and the Linux operating system.
- Be proficient at programming in at least one general purpose programming language.
- Have good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Have experience working with contemporary software engineering best practices, such as code reviews, source control, build processes, testing, deployment, release, and change management.
- Be interested in working with small teams on meaningful projects.
You get extra points for:
- A deep understanding of the Linux operating system and network stacks, with ability to apply understanding to solve real-world problems.
- Knowledge of infrastructure tools like Docker, Terraform, Amazon ECS, Kubernetes, and Ansible.
- Sense of urgency and ownership over critical problem areas.
- Demonstrating community service contributions, such as volunteering, teaching, mentorship, and community organizing.
- Familiarity in engaging with or managing open source projects and communities or an interest in doing so.
A note on hiring during the COVID-19 pandemic
Office and Benefits
- Fully subsidized health care, dental care, prescription plan, including for spouse/partner and children
- Fully subsidized life and long-term disability insurance, plus voluntary short-term disability insurance
- Medical reimbursement plan to cover what the health insurance does not
- Retirement plan with matching percentage
- Almost 4 weeks paid vacation plus additional paid sick/personal time off
- Family and medical leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Child care subsidy
- Paid time off for voting and volunteering
- Education assistance plan
- Student loan assistance
- Public transit and biking reimbursement plans
- Monthly guest lectures with lunches on the company
- 10% time for research or learning projects
- Profit-sharing bonus plan
- Financial transparency through an open book policy
- Kind, capable and thoughtful colleagues
We welcome qualified candidates from all walks of life and value diversity in our company. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, military service, disability unrelated to job requirements, marital status, or domestic partner status.