National Renewable Energy Laboratory · Golden, CO
Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Protocols
Employment at NREL is contingent upon your compliance with all NREL and DOE safety protocols and mitigation efforts directed at the COVID-19 pandemic. At present, NREL requires all employees to be immunized against COVID-19. Upon hire, new employees must be prepared to provide proof of vaccination on your first day of employment. All employees must have completed vaccinations by November 1, 2021.
Working at NREL
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), located at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Golden, Colorado is the nation's primary laboratory for research and development of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.
From day one at NREL, you’ll connect with coworkers driven by the same mission to save the planet. By joining an organization that values a supportive, inclusive, and flexible work environment, you’ll have the opportunity to engage through our eight employee resource groups, numerous employee-driven clubs, and learning and professional development classes.
NREL supports inclusive, diverse, and unbiased hiring practices that promote creativity and innovation. By collaborating with organizations that focus on diverse talent pools, reaching out to underrepresented demographics, and providing an inclusive application and interview process, our Talent Acquisition team aims to hear all voices equally. We strive to attract a highly diverse workforce and create a culture where every employee feels welcomed and respected and they can be their authentic selves.
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is leading a transformation of the national energy system through research and development in renewable energy generation and energy systems integration. NREL’s Secure Cyber-Energy Systems Group within the Energy Security and Resilience Center is seeking a DevOps engineer experienced with open development, build open infrastructure leveraging container infrastructure, CI/CD, NFV & Edge, Private & Hybrid Cloud, Security and open source communities Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes, Openstack, and OpenvSwitch. NREL works directly with the electric utility sector, the renewable energy generation sector, energy and security technology vendors and integrators, the Department of Energy, Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, and other federal agencies with missions critical to the nation’s energy security interests.
Research areas of interest include:
· Energy Control and Energy Management Systems Cybersecurity
· Renewable Energy Generation (solar, wind, geothermal) Cyber-Physical Security
· Distributed Energy Resource Cyber-Physical Security
· Industrial Internet of Things and Building Energy Management Systems Cybersecurity
· Internet of Things, Electric Vehicle Systems, Home Energy Management Systems, and smart home controllable device cybersecurity
· Natural and human energy system threat modeling and risk quantification
· Vulnerability and mitigation assessments throughout the NIST Cybersecurity Framework (Identify, protect, detect, respond and recover)
· Integrated power and communication emulation with virtualization and hardware-in-the-loop
· Human cognitive science around power and communication system visualization
· Application development to support research, validation, operational exercises and training of Energy Cyber-Physical Systems
· Visualization to improve situational awareness of multilayered communication and energy systems
Or, Bachelor's Degree in engineering and 2 or more years of experience related to the job description.
Additional Required Qualifications
- Intermediate Linux skills
- Intermediate ability to utilize Git for source control
- Intermediate development skills in Python or Golang
- Docker – The ability to create Docker custom images to meet project needs.
- System Automation – Familiar with Ansible, SaltStack, or similar system automation technologies.
- VSCode – or similar IDE.
- C++ – Familiar with or object-oriented programming language.
- Git – Continuous integration and deployment.
- Container orchestration (Kubernetes, Docker swarm)
- Virtualization orchestration (Openstack, Minimega)
- Software defined networking (Openvswitch)
Annual Salary Range (based on full-time 40 hours per week)
Annual Salary Range: $68,000 - $112,200
NREL takes into consideration a candidate’s education, training, and experience, as well as the position's work location, expected quality and quantity of work, required travel (if any), external market and internal value, including seniority and merit systems, and internal pay alignment when determining the salary level for potential new employees. In compliance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, a potential new employee’s salary history will not be used in compensation decisions.
Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; short*- and long-term disability insurance; pension benefits*; 403(b) Employee Savings Plan with employer match*; life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance; personal time off (PTO) and sick leave; paid holidays; and tuition reimbursement*. NREL employees may be eligible for, but are not guaranteed, performance-, merit-, and achievement- based awards that include a monetary component. Some positions may be eligible for relocation expense reimbursement. Limited-term positions are not eligible for long-term disability or tuition reimbursement.
* Based on eligibility rules
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at NREL you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
NREL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard basis of age (40 and over), color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin/ancestry, race, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding), sexual orientation, and any other applicable status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
E-Verify www.dhs.gov/E-Verify|For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.
E-Verify is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce.