Principal Full-Stack Software Engineer - Mental Health
BetterHelp · Mountain View, CA
Who are we and why should you join us?
- We help people change their lives. BetterHelp is the world’s largest therapy service. We set out on a mission to provide everyone with easy, affordable, and private access to professional counseling: anytime, anywhere. To date, our network of over 15,000 licensed, accredited, and board-certified therapists have assisted more than 1,000,000 people. Every month, our secure website and mobile app facilitate over 5,000,000 messages, chats, voice calls, and video sessions that help people face life’s challenges.
- We’re taking mental healthcare to the next level. We combine clinical care, cutting-edge technology and data-driven product development to constantly learn, iterate, and improve. We are relentless in our pursuit of better, always questioning the status quo and discovering new ways to get things done and serve our members.
- We are a community that grows together - both professionally and personally. Even with our exponential growth, our team is kept agile and nimble, allowing you to have a huge impact and carve your own path from day one. We invest in our team’s well-being and professional development because we know that business and individual growth go hand-in-hand. You will move fast, remain flexible, and be challenged every day. Join us!
What are we looking for?
We're looking for a talented, motivated, smart individual with a passion for software engineering, a strong desire to learn and an interest in providing mentorship to junior level developers. This position is ideal for a seasoned software engineer who has worked on multiple challenging projects. We are especially looking someone who enjoys hacking outside of work as much as in; someone not afraid to write code to scratch an itch. We love technology and so should you.
What technologies will you work with?
We use a combination of well established and more recent technologies, always innovating, always experimenting. We’re open to new ideas and novel approaches! Our current tech stack is:
- Backend: Linux, nginx, MySQL, PHP and Memcached.
- Frontend: Twig (php templates), Bootstrap 3, jQuery, HTML5, CSS3/SASS and React.
What will you do?
- You will develop end to end. You own your features and see them through to production and beyond.
- You will develop best practices and write clean, secure, readable, scalable code. OOP where appropriate.
- You will collaborate with other team members - engineers and others.
- You will integrate and build for external and internal API's.
- You will develop new products in PHP and alter existing PHP code to accommodate scale and integration with new technologies and APIs.
- You will write and optimize SQL queries and design schemas.
- You will create and code complex backend algorithms.
- You will profile and optimize new and legacy code.
- You will be leveraging Bootstrap 3, jQuery HTML5, CSS3 and other open source technologies.
- You will always be thinking cross-device and cross-platform, mobile, tablet and desktop.
- You will ship often and fast. We keep an agile environment with continuous deployment.
- You will care and be involved in our product, mission, and success - way beyond checking off development tasks.
- You will enjoy great teamwork and lots of fun.
What will you NOT do?
- You will NOT be bogged down by office politics, ego, or bad attitude. Only positive, pleasure-to-work-with people allowed here!
- You will NOT worry about "runway", "cash left", or "how much time we have until the next round". We're fully backed and funded, all the way to success.
- You will NOT be confined to engineering and coding. Have a thought or idea about how we do our product, marketing, business development, operation or customer support? Speak up! Get involved, initiate, own.
- You will NOT chase the latest most sophisticated technology just because it's there. We love sexy technology but we love practical solutions that get the job done even more.
- You will NOT get yourself burned out. We work hard but we believe in maintaining sustainable work/life balance. Really.
Can I work Remotely?
Yes! We work in Pacific Time. Once our office in Mountain View, CA is fully open, you have the option of moving to the area or continuing to work remotely. If you choose to stay remote, we ask that you travel to the office once every two months to spend time with the team (we will cover travel expenses).
- Must be able to legally work in the US.
- Deep understanding of web development concepts and principles.
- Example of full-stack projects.
- At least one major demonstrable project with front-end code, back-end code and database.
- Ability to design, develop and launch a web application from start to finish.
- Ability to learn quickly and pick up new skills independently.
- Get-things-done attitude with eagerness to build something great.
- 10+ years of experience in web development (any stack), solving challenging problems and implementing new features from scratch.
- 10+ years of experience in SQL. Designing relational DB schemas, complex queries, etc.
- Familiar with web & SQL security best practices.
- Comfortable working outside the context of a framework. Frameworks can help you get some things done more quickly, but we find it helpful if candidates are comfortable working outside of a framework so they have a good understanding of what is going on behind the scenes first.
- Experience using git in a team environment.
Helpful, but not required:
- Work or internship experience in startups
- Experience with the LAMP/LEMP stack
- Competitive salary & equity compensation
- Excellent health, dental, and vision coverage
- 401k benefits with employer matching contribution
- Ridiculous perks program
- Office in the heart of downtown Mountain View, a three-minute walk from Caltrain
- Commuter benefits, FSA accounts, and Employee Stock Purchase Programs
- Building something that matters - loved by the people and admired by the press
- Any piece of hardware or software that will make you happy and productive
- Awesome people to work with
- Nothing to slow you down
- Helping people live a better life, every day
At BetterHelp we thrive on difference and individuality, and as part of the Teladoc Health family, we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We never have and never will discriminate against any job candidate or employee due to age, race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status, parental status, disability, or Veteran status.