Data Quality Lead, Rooted in Trust
Internews · Remote (USA)
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Rooted in Trust project works to combat COVID-19 rumors and misinformation in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Iraq, Colombia, Mali, DRC, Zimbabwe, Sudan and South Sudan. We work to create impact at the local level and inform approaches to rumor management at the global level. The project is supported by a Global Technical Advisory team made up of media, humanitarian, data science and information management experts.
In Phase 1 of the project, we collected more than 19 thousand rumors in 14 languages and supported more than 30 local trusted information providers. In this critical phase of the pandemic, we will build on these efforts to listen and respond to the information challenges faced by vulnerable groups in humanitarian contexts, encouraging open dialogue between citizens and scientists and stronger and more collaborative partnerships between information providers (such as local media) and humanitarian and health sources.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Data Quality Lead (DQL) is a role sitting within the Global Technical Advisory Team. The DQL is responsible to ensure optimal practices in data collection, storage, and security at local and global levels. The DQL will work closely with the Senior Data Analyst to support a team of Information Officers and analysts in 10 focal countries to collect, understand and respond to rumor data. The DQL will be responsible for helping to train and mentor the teams in Internews Social Listening methodologies including data collection, cleaning and storage practices as well as supporting the ongoing development and implementation of data security practices.
This is a remote-first position. All remote candidates will be considered. However, you must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate's location and where the role is hired.
Note: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so it is to your interest to apply as soon as possible if the position is of interest.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive changes in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Create and implement data management practices for the project including appropriate storage and archiving practices;
- Support the creation of training materials and information resources;
- Train and mentor country-level Information Officers and Analysts to implement Internews' Social Listening methodologies;
- Support Information Officers in an ongoing capacity to ensure efficient and effectives approaches to data collection, cleaning, and storage;
- Provide training to project partners to improve qualitative data collection;
- Stay up to date with alternative approaches to rumor management and look for opportunities to strengthen approaches;
- Work closely with the Senior Data Analyst to source and clean additional data sets to enhance our understanding of attitudes towards COVID-19 in project locations;
- Work closely with the Global Technical Advisory Team to analyze findings across project locations to contribute to the production of regional and global papers;
- Ensure data security measures are implemented across the project and lead on the training in digital security for the project team and partners;
- Develop and monitor the implementation of data sharing protocols;
- Develop opportunities for data teams to share challenges and best practices;
- Contribute to the production of communication materials (i.e., blog posts, photos, podcasts, webinars....), documenting the life of the project for internal and external audiences, as required;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Degree in Information Management, Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems, Statistics, or a related field
- Five years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent skills in data management including visualization skills
- Team-building skills and the ability to support a diverse staff in a challenging and highly fluid environment - experience with remote management highly prioritized
- Experience designing, implementing or training teams in data responsibility practices and digital risk
- Experience working in humanitarian contexts and/or working in challenging environments and having a strong understanding of how to work with local authorities, international agencies like the UN, international NGOs, and local organizations and community representatives
- Creativity and curiosity
- Strong interpersonal communication, organizational, teamwork, facilitation and presentation skills
- Strong writing skills and proven ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Fluency in Arabic, Spanish or French a distinct advantage
- Awareness of, and familiarity with, the issues and dynamics of the COVID-19 pandemic and/or other health crises in humanitarian contexts a strong asset
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.