Lemontree Foods · New York, NY (mostly remote)
The short version
Lemontree is a tech non-profit that connects hungry people to free food. We're looking for a software developer with the right blend of rigor and scrappiness to turn our MVP into a robust product.
- The vast majority of hungry folks (75%) don't access the free food available at the food pantries near them.
- We connect our neighbors with the resources they need and treat them with the respect they deserve. Our product today is an SMS helpline, but we're quickly expanding. Read more @ https://www.foodhelpline.org & https://ltree.co/s/deck
- Our culture is constantly evolving and we make an effort to value employee happiness and balance. One example: this summer we have 17 mandatory vacation days where the office is closed.
- Past/present donors include NYT bestselling authors (Danny Meyer), major foundations (Robin Hood), and investors in startups like Uber, Twitter & Google (Rob Hayes, Ron Conway, Albert Wenger etc.)
- This isn't our first rodeo. As a team we built a community response to COVID that landed 35,000 volunteer hours at high need non-profits.
- Independently, we've created celebrity telethons (Alex recruited Jane Fonda, Judd Apatow and 65 more) and been on the ground for radical new approaches to food justice (Kasumi spearheaded the Community Fridge on the Upper West Side).
To date, all of our code has come from our Founder/CEO. You'll work across the stack building out our product from scratch.
Here's what that means:
- Building and shipping: First and foremost, this role is about making. Every day you'll write code to help hungry people.
- Architecture: As our lead engineer you'll make 100% of the decisions about architecture and tech strategy.
- Product: You'll also play a key role in product decisions and help us prioritize and build the right things at the right time.
- Leadership: As we scale, you'll be instrumental in defining our engineering culture and processes and will manage future engineers when the time comes.
- 3+ years of professional experience writing software full-time.
- Experience building consumer products.
- A willingness to work collaboratively with a small team and level up the people around you.
- A center of gravity in NYC (we mostly work remotely, but meet in person at least once a week in NYC).
- Strong empathy for the folks we serve.
- You've contributed to open source projects
- You've volunteered for a cause you love
- You love to read and/or write
- You get excited about hard conversations
- You have design chops
- You like to cook
Anti-requirements (things we don't care about)
- Where you went to college
- Where you've worked
- What you look like
Email [email protected] introducing yourself, with the subject line: "Founding Engineer - Tech Jobs For Good". Include your resume/LinkedIn if you have one.