UX Product Designer
Ellevation Education · Boston, MA/Remote (US)
EducationPosted 1 month ago
User Experience Design (UX)
The mission for the UX Product Designer is to lead the design of Ellevation’s products from vision to delivery. This is a hands-on role where you will work with their agile product team to help shape the product direction, craft both generative and determinative experiments, validate ideas, and iterate to deliver best-in-class user experiences that our customers love. The right candidate to join our growing design team can formulate strong opinions, demonstrate a product mindset, and find effective ways to impact the business.
- Drive business value by discovering and addressing our customer customer’s most acute product challenges. Work alongside your team through product discovery, leveraging your expertise to anticipate customer needs, and develop concepts and prototypes to drive experimental learning.
- Champion design-thinking with your team by articulating your hypotheses, assumptions, and rationale for your proposed solutions. Ensure that designs are backed by sound methodology, research, and data.
- Deliver high-quality products into the hands of our customers by thinking through scenarios, iterating frequently to remove flaws in your solutions, and validating the finished product meets the high standards our design team holds.
- Define, communicate, and implement a successful adoption of our new design system, Backpack with your product team.
Your First Year:
- 1 month - Learn about the key challenges and context facing the company, your product area, your team, and the broader Design Team. Build relationships with key collaborators laying a foundation for your work together.
- 3 months - Define your first increments with your product team, participate in both agile and design team rituals, and feel nearly fully integrated within your product team and the cross-functional design team.
- 6 months - Deliver value to the business through designing MVP(s), and forming an understanding of how to deliver longer term success in an iterative, incremental process. Have a solid understanding of the impact, values, culture, and vision of our Design Team.
- 12 months - Own the design of your product area, work with your product manager to define short-term and long-term objectives, and continuously learn and deliver results based on those learnings. Influencing and communicating our design culture, values, processes, and vision.
- Design abilities - You are a full-stack designer able to research and define the conceptual model, interactions, and aesthetics of a product.
- Openness to Criticism and Ideas - You often invite and provide feedback, and view criticism or constructive feedback as ways to improve your work or yourself.
- Experimental & Curious - You love to find problems, test ideas, learn quickly, fail fast, and iterate. You pursue this with excitement, and expect to share learnings, insight, and results - both positive and negative.
- Decisioning - You are able to form opinions and make judgements on both the current designs and further improvements, and articulate the good and bad about the designs based on best practices and principles.
- Business value - You possess a strong understanding of how product design impacts the business cross-functionally, and how to find and add value through the power of design.
- Simplicity - Your design process is lean, and your rapid experiments and solutions are highly focused on the essentials with as little design as needed.
- Communication - You acknowledge that as a Product Designer, many people are looking to you for solutions to the customer and user problems we face. You embrace the communication expectations to find effective ways to justify your design decisions, explain the value your solution unlocks, and inspire your team in doing so.
- Collaborative - To succeed as a company and make an impact for our customers, all the teams at Ellevation work together. You know that you cannot win on your own; you’re open to working with others along the way as a leader and a contributor.
- Attention to detail - You don’t let important details slip through the cracks, think through scenarios to ensure your solutions stand up, and address any flaws in your designs.
- Domain knowledge - You understand the technical and product domains in which we work within. Databases, front-end frameworks, HTML/CSS, and enterprise applications are comfortable to you. Bonus points for experience in EdTech.
At Ellevation, we develop world-class software to help school districts and educators support the fastest growing population of K-12 students: English Language Learners (ELLs). Ellevation helps school districts transform their EL programs and ensure all students can achieve their highest aspirations with a best-in-class data and instructional planning platform, resources to build teacher capacity, and student-facing programs to teach academic language.
We are a fast-growing, mission-driven technology company, partnering with over 800 public school districts all across the country. We are well-capitalized, have a strong team, and are continuously focused on how to build the best organization so that we can achieve our ambitious social and financial objectives.
In addition to our great benefit plans and competitive salaries, here are some other perks that make us unique:
+ Great location in Boston - a stone’s throw from the Chauncy Street/Downtown Crossing T stop (We are currently working 100% remotely due to COVID-19)
+ Ability to make a significant impact in the education industry
+ Fun Fridays including virtual happy hours with our remote team
+ Free snacks, beverages, fruit, and we even compost!
+ On-site gym, game room and darts to support all levels of athleticism
+ Opportunity to join an open and collaborative work environment!
Learn more about our team in our Culture Deck.
Here at Ellevation, we champion diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging. We strive to build a team that reflects the diverse communities we serve. We’re an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values a range of ideas and opinions. We embrace all types of differences in the development of our organization. We are proud to have been recognized in prior years as “Best Tech Workplace for Diversity” from the Timmy Awards for investing in trainings around inclusive behaviors, microaggressions, unconscious bias, and fostering a culture of sharing educational resources across the company. We are encouraged by our progress, but there’s more work to be done.