Platform Engineer (Remote)
nLine · Remote
nLine works to improve the reach, reliability, and resilience of the world’s most critical infrastructure, including power grids, water systems, and roadway networks. Our initial focus is on improving the reliability of electricity distribution in Sub-Saharan Africa, where outages are common and repairs are slow, primarily due to poor grid visibility and limited information. This means that families don’t invest in refrigeration and lighting, businesses can’t operate efficiently or enter new markets, and governments can’t regulate effectively and ensure electricity access and quality standards for its citizens.
We aim to improve electricity reliability by developing wireless sensors and cloud services that monitor critical infrastructure and report their performance in real-time to utilities, regulators, investors, researchers, and the public. We currently measure the performance of the grid at scale in Accra, Ghana, and have smaller active deployments in four other countries.
We have worked with organizations including the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), Department for International Development (DFID), University of California, Berkeley, and the Millenium Development Authority (MiDA).
At our core, we value scientific integrity, transparency, and impact.
Position Description and Responsibilities
nLine is seeking a full-time Platform Engineer to join its small and growing team. In this role you will help architect and implement the systems that enable our software to be deployed easily, reliably, and at scale. This includes interacting with all parts of nLine’s software system ranging from the backend tools that enable us to deploy and manage sensors, to our data analysis pipelines which extract insights from raw sensor data, to customer-facing, frontend visualization and notification systems.
In addition to technical contributions, the responsibilities of this role include working collaboratively with other engineers on the team, helping with future hiring, contributing to on-going research being conducted at nLine and by nLine’s partners, and participating in public facing presentations to customers and professional organizations.
nLine is a fully remote company and this position can be performed remotely, however we intend for at least occasional in-person interactions.
Because this role is broad, we do not expect any applicant to have experience with all required skills. Instead, we are looking for applicants who share a love of clean, reliable, and appropriate software, and who would be excited to think deeply about the systems best suited for nLine’s goals. We expect a successful applicant will have at least a few years of work experience or similar experience working on a large software project.
Successful applicants will likely have strong coding skills in Python (and other languages) and will be very familiar with standard software development practices including command line interfaces, version control, testing, and continuous integration/deployment. Additionally, experience with any of Kubernetes, Docker, Helm, Terraform, PostgreSQL/TimescaleDB, Apache Spark, Databricks, or React Native would be helpful; regardless, willingness to learn will be critical.
A successful candidate will be excited to be part of a high-impact, mission-oriented, global, and fast-moving team. They will be able to work independently, possess strong written and verbal communication skills, be energized by a fluid and flexible environment, and:
- Work effectively with the team to architect the next generation of our technology
- Be self-motivated and happy working for periods of time as an individual contributor
- Support, strengthen, and improve nLine’s mission to improve critical infrastructure
- Actively support nLine’s company culture of diversity, acceptance, and respect
- Be driven by accountability, reliability, and transparency
- Help grow the company through recruiting and retaining other excellent employees
- Learn new skills and adapt to using the most appropriate technologies for a given task
- Be excited to learn about the challenges related to deploying technologies in cultures outside of their own
- Competitive salary for an engineer with similar qualifications in the area in which you live
- Health, dental, and vision covered at 100%
- Fully remote with flexible work schedule
- 20 paid vacation days plus federal holidays
- Closed office between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day
- Subsidies/reimbursements for laptop and remote office setup
- Subsidies for professional learning opportunities (e.g. workshops, online courses, conferences etc.)
- Paid parental leave
- Opportunities to travel to the regions in which we are deploying sensors including Ghana, Kenya and Sierra Leone
nLine is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. nLine will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other protected group. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter at https://nline.io/jobs.html. Please ensure that your cover letter describes why nLine’s mission and values are important to you. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.