FreeWill · New York, NY/Remote
FreeWill is an award-winning, social-good startup that has raised more than $3 billion for high impact nonprofits since we were founded in 2017. We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Oprah’s magazine, and have even been named to Town & Country’s “Top 50 Philanthropists” list.
All of this is because we’ve figured out how to make some powerful (but complicated!) ways to donate much easier and more accessible. Our products make things easier for the donors who want to change the world and for nonprofits doing heroic work around the planet.
In the last 4 years, we’ve grown from 5 people to 95+ (all smart, tenacious, and kind), and continue to grow quickly. We’d love to have you be a part of this adventure.
We are looking for a people-focused Engineering Manager who wants to make an impact at a mission-driven company and lead a team of 3-5 engineers. You are an inspiring and empathetic manager that’s passionate about helping your team grow and building products that delight users. You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility, and think rigorously to make hard decisions.
This role is remote, with competitive compensation (salary & equity), flexible working hours, and a flexible start date. Unfortunately, we can’t sponsor H1Bs at this time.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Coach and develop engineers on your team, helping them advance in their careers
- Help double the team over the next year by hiring and retaining great engineers
- Work with leaders across product and engineering to set the strategic direction for your team and our product suite
- Manage processes to increase the efficiency, effectiveness, and happiness of your team
- Own technical project management for your team, including agile planning, grooming, and removing roadblocks
- Collaborate frequently with design, product, sales, and customer success
- Encourage a healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging
- 3+ years in an engineering management position with at least 4 direct reports
- Previous experience as a software engineer with knowledge of modern web stacks, to facilitate good technical decisions by the team (we use React, Node.js, TypeScript, PostgreSQL, and AWS)
- Track record of delivering high quality projects and collaborating with leaders across your organization
- Experience with hiring, including sourcing, interviewing, and onboarding a diverse team of engineers
Other Important Traits
- Intense curiosity
- Scrappiness and grit
- Focus on continuous learning
- Comfort with ambiguity
In addition to the immense personal and professional satisfaction you’ll gain from helping to raise $1T for high impact nonprofits in a kind and joyful work environment, full time employees at FreeWill are eligible for the following benefits:
- Work from home
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible hours
- Competitive salary
- Commuter benefits
- Company stock options
- Medical/Dental/Vision (some single coverage medical plans are 100% employer paid, subsidized rates for spousal, parent-child, and family coverage)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Free One Medical membership
- Paid parental leave for all parents
- Option to work from our new, beautiful NYC office, located in the Financial District
- Fully paid trips, such as an annual work retreat in a relaxing location
- Staff holidays and FreeDays (periodic one day office closures to rest and refresh)
- Regular (virtual) team events
- $250 monthly co-working budget which can be used for local co-working spaces (for team members located outside of the NYC metro only).
- $300 annual budget to outfit your home office or cover utility bills
- $1,000 referral bonuses for growing our FreeWill community
- $1,000 annual professional development budget
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are a remote-first company that’s able to hire in 47 states and D.C. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire in Colorado, Alabama, or Louisiana at this time. We also can’t sponsor working visas, so all applicants will need to have work authorization in the US.
Excited about our mission? Success in serving nonprofit partners requires our dedication to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. We can’t wait to learn with and from you.