Senior Software Engineer
New Visions for Public Schools · New York, NY
New Visions for Public Schools is looking for an experienced software engineer with 4+ years of software development experience working with large scale systems to join our Systems, Data Analytics, and Research team (SYSDAAR). Our new team member will help build, test and maintain our school management platform built on Angular, Node.js, and MongoDB, supplemented by RXJS, Typescript, GraphQL, PostgreSQL, and other technologies.
The SYSDAAR team builds and maintains web applications that respond to educator needs and supports school leaders in effectively integrating data and technology. This team’s work is integral to New Visions’ direct support to over 700 public NYC high schools and more than 500,000 students in modernizing their tech infrastructure to improve the responsiveness and quality of operations, instruction, and student support.
The problems we are solving are challenging and interesting and our solutions have an immediate impact on students and staff at urban schools in NYC. We are looking for an engineer excited about public service and the prospect of joining a fun and growing team in an open, collaborative, and diverse environment.
Who you are:
You are passionate about mission-driven technical work that has a tangible and immediate impact on opportunities and outcomes for young people.
You are a strategic and analytical thinker with a natural curiosity for investigating issues and communicating insights.
You are detail-oriented with a commitment to code quality and accuracy.
You are collaborative and team-oriented with a strong sense of collective responsibility.
You are dedicated to continuous learning and skill-building, seeking out opportunities to develop your own new skills and to mentor team members in their professional growth.
Essential Job Functions:
Software Design and Development
- Provide leadership around technical architecture and the establishment of robust design patterns.
- Write clean, testable, scalable and well-documented code.
- Proactively contribute ideas for new features and identify areas for improvement.
- Develop a broad understanding of our existing code base and identify high-value refactors to improve code quality over time.
- Systematically debug user and system reported problems across all environments, using modern debugging techniques and tools.
- Proactively identify potential problems, recommend solutions, and contribute to implementation of fixes.
Collaboration with Product, Design, and Quality Assurance teams
- Develop domain knowledge through working with our product management and design teams, which will enable you to understand our user community and subsequently apply knowledge to your systems development and support responsibilities.
- Participate in product requirement review and task sizing/estimation.
Leadership and Communication
- Provide leadership in the implementation of smart practices, protocols and technologies
- Provide leadership around team coding standards and code quality via code reviews, mentoring, and pairing
- Actively participate in architecture, engineering, and requirements planning meetings
- Mentor other software engineers on the team
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Familiarity with design patterns (object oriented, singleton, subscriber/observer, functional programming, promises)
- RESTful API development
- Mongo and/or Postgres
- CSS / SCSS
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, to be flexible, and to quickly adapt to new information
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Collaborative and team-oriented with a strong attention to detail
Preferred Knowledge and Skill:
- Prior experience in education is welcome!
- Undergraduate or graduate study in a related field, or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training in the software development field
- At least 4 years of recent work experience in a production software engineering environment
NYC-based headquarters. Remote options available, ideally working from locations in Eastern Standard Time. Additional details will be shared if selected for an interview.