Staff User Researcher
Obama Foundation · Charlotte, NC/New York, NY/Washington, DC
About the Obama Foundation
At the Obama Foundation, we are guided by a core belief: that ordinary people working together can change history. Our mission is to inspire those people to take action, empower them to change their world for the better, and connect them so they can achieve more together than they can alone.
We were founded by community organizers, so when we seek change, we do it by bringing people together.
That approach begins at home, on the South Side of Chicago, where we are building the Obama Presidential Center. The Center represents a historic opportunity for Chicago: a chance to build a world-class museum and public gathering space that celebrates our nation’s first African American President and First Lady, steps away from where he began his career, where she was raised, and where—together—they made their home.
But that approach extends to all our work, whether it’s holding leadership training sessions in communities throughout the U.S., bringing local leaders together in countries around the world, working to support the global education of girls, or ensuring young men of color have pathways to opportunity.
As President Obama has said, “we cannot solve the challenges of our time unless we solve them together.” So join us.
For more information, please visit www.obama.org.
Purpose of the Role
The Obama Foundation is looking for an experienced Staff User Researcher to join our growing Product and Technology team.
In this role, you will play a hands-on role in realizing the Obama Foundation’s vision of catalyzing millions to action -- through digital channels and the future Obama Presidential Center. You will work side-by-side with peers and stakeholders in product design, product management, engineering, data and analytics, as well as across the wider organization, to uncover insights, answer research questions, and drive the conceptualization, creation, and execution of innovative products and services -- all focused on supporting budding and seasoned changemakers globally.
The Staff User Researcher will report to the Foundation’s Director of Product Management.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Employ quantitative and qualitative research methodologies to unearth insights that guide the product design process
- Own and drive user experience research projects end to end-- from research planning, coordination, and recruitment to insights’ integration into the team’s strategy and roadmap
- Perform other duties as assigned
Key Deliverables / Outcomes
- Establish and own the product and technology team’s user research function and roadmap, funneling all user research needs—from large foundational and generative projects to evaluative, tactical, and investigative quick wins
- Serve as strategic research partner for all members of the Product and Technology team, providing thoughtful guidance to turn needs into actionable research questions, and impacting our product roadmap
- Design, coordinate, conduct, analyze, and report on mixed-methods research, including user interviews, usability testing, concept testing, surveys, fieldwork, and other methods as needed
- Deliver insights, recommendations, and research results by presenting and evangelizing findings to a range of stakeholder levels
- Work to ensure our baseline research is useful, up to date, and understood by all
- 5+ years of experience in user research, preferably on consumer-facing products
- Strong impact mindset, with an eye on KPIs and overall strategy
- Outstanding research intuition, with strong customer-centered instincts
- Adept at experimentation, systems-level thinking, service design, journey/experience mapping, and effective storytelling to communicate insights
- Passion and commitment to inclusive and accessible design and familiarity with building products that meet digital accessibility standards and best practices
- Entrepreneurial spirit with demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment; startup experience a plus
- Ability to effectively work with users and teammates distributed across geographic locations
We ask that all candidates provide a portfolio with samples of past work and deliverables as part of their application.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Foundation is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at [email protected] if you require a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.