Research and Policy Manager
JustFix · New York, NY
JustFix is seeking a Research and Policy (“R&P”) Manager with 3-4 years of relevant experience in tenant/housing rights, research, public policy, and/or data analysis. The candidate should have a passion for tenant rights and an eagerness to join us on our mission to co-create tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates in the fight for stable, healthy housing for all.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, the R&P Manager will join JustFix’s Program Team, currently including the Program and Communication Managers. Working in collaboration with JustFix’s staff and external partners, the R&P Manager will provide strategic support to grassroots community organizations with the goal of building power and supporting organizing and advocacy work. JustFix’s tools, such as WhoOwnsWhat, provide unique insights into the New York City housing landscape. In partnership with external partners and in support of broader campaigns for social change, the R&P manager would lead, design, analyze, and write research reports.
JustFix’s team is based in New York City. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to an office, which will depend on the state of the public health crisis. While we are eager to return to the office, JustFix prioritizes staff health and wellbeing above all else.
Work with External Partners:
- Support community-based organizations (community partners) in forming data priorities, collecting data, and disseminating data;
- Coordination and communication with community groups to carry out participatory research projects;
- Research and policy training for community partner groups;
- Write policy-related documents and research reports;
- Write public education materials to support the efforts of community partners;
- Support for internal research priorities and publications of JustFix, such as year-end reports.
- Work with JustFix’s Program and Product Team to analyze existing data and create new research tools (surveys, focus group guides, interviews, etc.);
- Analysis of existing quantitative and qualitative data;
- Support Marketing & Communications Manager in developing and implementing strategic communications related to research and policy work.
- Attend and facilitate team meetings
- Engage in manager and peer check-ins
- Participate in anti-racism and anti-oppression initiatives and curriculum
- Take part in other org-wide initiatives
*Other duties may also be assigned
Qualities & Skills
- 3-4 years of experience in past research and/or policy roles
- Experience with research design and project management
- Experience with data collection, data analysis, and relevant software tools (SPSS, Stata, R, Excel, SAS, SQL, or similar programs)
- Experience and knowledge of the NYC and NYS political landscape
- Understanding of housing in New York City or nation-wide, including familiarity with housing types, rent regulation, and common challenges tenants face, including repairs, harassment, housing instability, homelessness, and discrimination
- Experience and demonstrated skills in working with diverse populations and a commitment to community organizing, racial justice, and housing justice
- Motivated by our mission and/or a professional or personal connection to the housing justice movement
- Experience with group facilitation and public speaking
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Ability to cultivate relationships with potential partners
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Local to NYC
- Your own unique talents. If you do not meet 100% of the must-haves above, tell us in your cover letter why you’d be a fit for this role.
Nice to have:
- Advanced degree in public policy and/or graduate studies in statistics
- Interest in growing with and building a resilient team structure
- Familiarity with project management software and remote work platforms such as Slack, Clubhouse, Airtable, or similar software.
- Familiarity with Geographic Information System (“GIS”) Mapping.
- Experience with analytics tools (i.e. Amplitude, Fullstory, and/or Google Analytics)
- Interest in civic technology and co-design
- Experience in a startup environment (either an actual startup or an entrepreneurial context within a larger organization)
- A connection to the people we support and the tools we are building
- English and Spanish dual fluency (reading, writing, speaking)
Why Work for JustFix
- Outstanding health plan. 100% of medical, vision and dental benefits are covered for staff along with FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs.
- Support for the future. 401k option (we match up to 2%, plus a non-elective contribution per year), and 16 weeks paid Parental Leave for those eligible.
- Flexible Paid Time Off with a generous and inclusive holiday schedule. We have a culture of community care and encourage each other to take time to rest.
- Monthly tenant engagement opportunities. Spend time and learn with the communities with whom we build with and update our tools.
- Resourced learning opportunities. We invest in each staff person so that they can have ongoing professional development and respond to growth feedback.
- Personalized technology setup. You choose what type of computer and accessories you need to do your best work and we cover up to $1,000 of that cost through our offered technology stipend, with an additional $1,000 at your two-year work anniversary.
- Small and collaborative work culture. We are a small team that works together closely and emphasizes learning from each other, with dedicated time for any staff member to share the skills they’re most excited about with the team.
Salary is $70,000 - $80,000 annually for 40 hours a week (full time, exempt) including full health (medical, vision, dental) insurance, and all benefits listed in the “Why Work for JustFix” section.
JustFix is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that co-creates tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates to fight displacement and achieve stable, healthy housing for all, leveraging the power of data and technology to support individual and collective action for housing justice. Housing is a human right. We believe all tenants deserve dignified housing that helps them thrive in all parts of their lives - and that technology plays a supportive role in equipping tenants and the housing justice movement with the tools, information, and organizing power critical to this fight for racial and economic justice. Read more about our impact and Theory of Change.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve tens of thousands of tenants every year.
JustFix is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.