Kaia Health · New York, NY
Health & Well-BeingPosted 2 months ago
Kaia is a mission-focused health technology company.
Our story began in 2016, when our founders, Konstantin Mehl and Manuel Thurner, created a mission to bring affordable and accessible relief to millions of people with chronic conditions. No strangers to chronic pain themselves, they decided to innovate ways to remove the obstacles many people experience in getting the leading-edge care they need.
How do Kaia apps work? Kaia uses a dynamic AI-powered algorithm. Our programs are based on multimodal rehabilitation, a holistic approach to managing chronic conditions. Our users have easy access via smartphone and tablet to our programs for back/hip/knee pain and COPD using this evidence-based approach.
Five years into our story, we are a leader in digital therapeutics, with 500,000+ users worldwide. Having raised $125 million from investors like Optum Ventures, idInvest, and Balderton Capital, to name a selected few, we are poised to create a global footprint in digital self-care. Kaia is patient empowerment made easy.
The regulatory landscape is quickly adapting to the digital ecosystem. Therefore, our mission and strategy bring new opportunities for determined talent to join our journey. With over 100 “Kaianeers” spread across the US and Europe, we now need more specialized talent to help take our mission further.
We are looking for a VP of Engineering who will help us scale our Engineering organization drastically in order to accelerate progress toward our vision. You will report to the CTO and you will have a seat on the management team.
The role encompasses:
- Take over leadership of our 40 people engineering team. The team currently spans 5 cross-functional product engineering teams and a technology platform team. Both parts of the organization are distributed between New York and Munich.
- Grow the engineering team 2-3x over the next year by hiring stellar talent and adapting processes to keep up with the growth.
- Lead by example, care for your team, and inspire the team to execute against a common vision.
- Deeply understand our product and business strategy, articulate that to your team, and shape into technology strategy.
- Manage engineering morale, culture, retention, and performance.
- Provide professional development, coaching, mentorship, and cultivate emerging leaders for the organization.
- Promote engineering excellence and best practices across teams, foster an environment of innovation, establish a high frame of reference, and fight mediocrity.
- Design processes and build tooling to support multiple products in multiple geographies with different regulatory and product requirements.
- Engage on architectural discussions, determine tradeoffs, seek to reduce complexity, and drive discussion towards decisions.
- As part of the management team you will contribute to strategic decision making and resource allocation on the company level.
- You have seen scale: Ideally you had a similar role in a high growth venture before and have a good frame of reference for how a well run 100-200 people engineering team should look like.
- Demonstrated experience of attracting, hiring, enabling, and developing stellar talent.
- Strong product mindset and previous experience working with cross-functional, product-focused teams.
- Excellent manager of managers with the ability to mentor and grow senior engineers and engineering managers
- Previous experience managing change as well as shaping organizational design, incentivization, and communication structures across multiple teams.
- Strong process- and systems thinker with the ability to find transdisciplinary solutions to open-ended business and tech problems by going to a technical first principle level and challenging hidden assumptions.
- An opinion on how things are done correctly and an extremely high frame of reference for yourself and the teams you lead.
- Deep technical background with previous hands-on experience in software engineering within a high-performing technology organization.
- Proactive, entrepreneurial mind, driven by impact, and willingness to get her/his hands dirty where needed.
- Collaborative leadership style with the ability to connect with people, inspire them, and create intrinsic motivation to execute against ambitious goals in a sustainable way.
Ideally you also have:
- Familiarity with our tech stack: https://stackshare.io/kaia-health/kaia-health
- Previous experience building mobile products
- Previous experience in building ML-enabled products
- Previous experience in operating within a regulated environment (we are a registered medical product in europe, and comply with various US & EU privacy and security regulations).
Some of the benefits of being a Kaianeer:
You can directly influence the future of digital health in a team of industry experts and digital shapers.
You will work alongside serial entrepreneurs (previously founded and scaled another startup, Foodora).
You’ll enjoy flat hierarchies, a hybrid work from home/office environment, and flexible vacation and working times.
We support your professional development and have a budget set aside for you just for that!
Happy hours, team events, and knowledge-sharing sessions galore!
Join us if you’re looking for an entrepreneurial adventure and an exciting place to grow personally and professionally.