Senior Software Development Manager
OCLC · Dublin, OH
You have a life. We like that about you.
At OCLC, we believe you'll do the best work of your life when you're living the best life possible.
We work hard to build the technology that connects thousands of today's libraries. But we also work hard to make a job at OCLC a meaningful part of a balanced life- not a substitute for one.
The Job Details are as follows:
Discover. Innovate. Collaborate. Inform. A few words we use to describe a career at OCLC.
Technology with a Purpose. OCLC supports thousands of libraries in making information more accessible and more useful to people around the world. OCLC provides shared technology services, original research and community programs that help libraries meet the ever-evolving needs of their users, institutions and communities. With office locations around the globe, OCLC employees are dedicated to offering premier services and software to help libraries cut costs while keeping pace with the demands of our information-driven society.
The Entity Management System development team is looking for a strong Senior Software Development Manager to lead a growing team of software engineers in building user interface, APIs, and tools to leverage our newly built graph data that will make linked data and entity-based description mainstream for all libraries. This application is just completing its small-scale initial release and is ready for data and feature growth to transform our customers’ linked data experience both within the Shared Entity Management application and across OCLC’s products and services. If you like working with big data or creating robust services around that data to solve complex problems, this job may be for you!
Great candidates will have experience with building user interfaces using React and Node.js, creating and interacting with RESTful API services. An understanding of the considerations and trade-offs that need to be made for high volume/high frequency data and transportation systems. Well-qualified candidates should also deeply understand the concepts of continuous deployment pipelines built with robust, automated testing and orchestration and understand how to lead and empower engineers to thrive in that style of development.
- Oversee the development of features that strengthen OCLC’s linked data strategy in partnership with the product manager
- Ensure solid technical designs and solutions are implemented
- Alongside the lead developer, serve as a technical consultant for senior management, technical staff, product and project managers.
- Manage technical staff including: planning, organizing, training, directing, motivating, evaluating, mentoring, and developing.
- Perform all administrative duties necessary for ongoing support of group’s activities including staff selection, staff performance evaluation, progress and time reporting, and other administrative functions as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering discipline or equivalent experience
- 7 years’ experience and proficiency writing software, plus 2 years of managing development teams
- Technical depth to actively participate in architectural software conversations and contribute to business/technology tradeoffs
- Solid understanding of the state of modern software development frameworks, platforms, and techniques covering areas such as modern UI frameworks, cloud, containers, PaaS, micro-services, RESTful service, development
- Excellent communication skills and fluent English (speaking/reading/writing), with the ability to present technical architecture and direction to business stakeholders and senior management
- Deep understanding and experience delivering software in all complexities of a large enterprise with a proven track record of shipping cloud native solutions
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail, good judgement and passion for your work
- Experience with agile/scrum development environments, particularly in newly formed or rapidly growing teams