Senior Product Manager
CommonLit · Washington, DC or Remote (US-Based)
CommonLit is a nonprofit EdTech organization dedicated to providing high-quality literacy instruction to low-income students and students of color to prepare them for success in college and careers. We operate a free online reading and writing program, www.commonlit.org, that is used by millions of teachers and students monthly. We are a team of passionate professionals — many of whom are former teachers — that has grown very quickly in the past five years, especially since the need for distance learning resources has grown due to the pandemic.
As a Senior Product Manager at CommonLit, you’ll work closely with our Chief Product Officer, Product Designer, and engineers to improve existing user experiences and bring new features and products to life for millions of students and their teachers as part of our digitally-delivered literacy curriculum and library. You’ll collaborate across various teams at CommonLit (Product, Engineering, Curriculum, Data, Partnerships, and Coaching) to identify user needs and customer priorities, develop and test prototypes with our Product Designer, write product requirements, support engineers throughout development, and continually improve product usability. As part of our growing product department, you’ll play a key role in mentoring new product managers and shaping the processes we’ll use to develop and ship our products.
CommonLit’s product roadmap is driven by user interviews, data, feedback from teachers via our user support channels, and partnerships with schools and districts across the country. We work in small iterations and deploy several times a day. We’re building an application that’s used by students and teachers across a broad range of technology and connectivity access, and we take accessibility seriously.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned product manager who is committed to our mission and excited to work for a fast-paced, education technology nonprofit.
- 3-7 years experience in product management, ideally for a SaaS product
- Demonstrated success capturing information from multiple stakeholders, creating and testing prototypes, drafting product requirements, and working with designers and developers to build, launch, and iterate on user-friendly products
- Strong technical background, with experience in data modeling, API-based integrations, content management systems, accessibility, etc.
- Experience with an agile and iterative approach to developing product requirements
- Strong data analytics skills and ability to define success metrics
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strategic self-starter who can prioritize time effectively
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Authorization to work in the U.S. without employer sponsorship.
- The following skills are appreciated and should be highlighted in a cover letter, though they are not required:
- Experience working specifically in EdTech and/or the field of K-12 education
- Experience with RCTs and A/B testing
- Experience working in/with communities of color
- Conduct ongoing user research and market research
- Collect qualitative and quantitative data about existing and future products/features
- Maintain a well organized product and feature backlog and prioritize opportunities based on data, external timelines, and input from multiple stakeholders
- Articulate and pitch product and feature ideas to the team
- Work with our designer to create prototypes for new products and features
- Mentor new product managers, teach our product team about best practices, and shape processes
- Test new ideas before implementing
- Communicate with developers and stakeholders to write clear and thorough product requirements, identifying edge cases ahead of time
- Scope and shape projects to weigh needs and team capacity
- Work closely with developers to turn requirements into implemented markup and code
- Creatively problem-solve technical and usability challenges
- Deliver the most user-friendly online user experiences possible for millions of educators and students
- Optimize existing user interface designs for usability and performance
- Become an expert in all of CommonLit’s products, features, and integrations
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary is $75,000-$115,000, commensurate with experience.
- Benefits include health, dental, vision, 401K, commuter benefits, company holidays, parental leave, sick leave, personal leave
How to Apply:
- Submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with subject line “Senior Product Manager - Tech Jobs For Good”
- Round 1 candidates will be asked to join an initial call to meet a member of the product team
- Round 2 candidates will complete a short product management challenge involving incorporating a round of feedback.
- Final Round candidates will interview with multiple teams.
As an equal opportunity employer, CommonLit values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected]